Wednesday, March 14, 2012

All in a day's ministry


This week I took Holy Communion to two elderly women who live on the mountain south of the parish.  The mountain walk is about twenty to thirty minutes on a rocky path that is used by people, donkeys, goats, and horses.  Stepping carefully over rocks and around animal poop, I arrived to find the two women in the midst of their daily chores.  They are sisters, never married, and have no children.  They were thrilled with my visit and offered their only chair for me to sit, while they squatted on a rock on the ground.  I set the table for communion on a white corporal that I placed on a tattered woven straw tray that is used to separate millet from its husk.  I look around, taking particular notice to their broken stick and straw house.  Everything on the house is broken…the door, the roof, and the walls.  One strong storm and the house will be down!  Elderly here usually depend on their children to look after them, or a niece or nephew, but these two sisters have nobody.  As I make my way down the mountain trail and across another trail on the way to my next visit, my mind is racing with thoughts on large families, small families, no family.  When I arrive at the home of my next visit, I am greeted by a group of children who lead me to their grandmother.  She is content, sitting on a chair outside her house, which is made of sticks but looks very strong and sturdy.  I set a communion table on a low stone wall that forms the “galri” of her house.  Her grandchildren gather round and we all receive communion.  Her wrinkled face radiates joy!  And I tell her she is beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment