Monday, December 30, 2013

Reflection on the "good side" of poverty--if there is one.

Today I mounted the motorcycle with Wonel driving and went to visit a long time resident, a woman whose family I have known since I first came to Bondeau, about 10 years ago.  Rachelle, her granddaughter is an active member of the parish.  Rachelle told me that "Gran" had fallen down and broke her hip.  She said that she is confined to her bed and is in a lot of pain. 

I arrived at the tiny house in the early afternoon.  The family was on the front porch and in the front yard.  There was Rachelle, her mother, and brother.  Rachelle's first grade daughter was inside the house sitting on the floor next to "Gran", reading to her from her reading text book.  Gran had a look of contentment, looking very much at peace.  And is it any wonder?  She is surrounded by her entire family day and night.  She is cared for by her daughter and grand daughter.  She was clean, dressed in a lightweight cotton nightgown, her hair neatly combed. The bed sheet was neat and clean. It's obvious to me that she is getting excellent care.

I visit many people in Florida about the same age as "Gran" and because of similar injuries are confined to nursing home care.  In contrast, people I visit in nursing homes are very often lonely and feel "cast aside".  Their families are often too far away to visit.  They have their physical needs taken care of but they are missing the love that a caring family gives.

So, while I'm not saying that living in poverty is "better" than being affluent, I see a positive side...the elderly usually live out their lives among family and friends, being cared for with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment