Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Twin babies on Kay Timoun doorstep


July 10, 2012

This morning I returned to the house after using the Internet in the Guest House and found two infant babies on a blanket on the floor at the entrance of Kay Timoun.  One was asleep, the other awake.  I looked over at Naomi who was washing clothes.  She caught my eye and simply laughed.  She said the mother had come and lay the babies on the floor and went away.  Thoughts raced in my head.  Could we take care of two infants?  I guess we could but it would take a lot of time away from our mission here at Kay Timoun.  I looked at the babies carefully and saw that they are very tiny.  Cawol said it’s because they don’t have anything to eat.  I thought about what we had on hand that an infant could eat.  I remember years ago giving my babies ripe bananas when they could take solid food.  So, I mashed a banana into a thick liquid, added a little condensed milk, and Cawol fed it to the baby that was awake.  When Wozlo returned from Bible class, she fed the second baby, who by this time was awake.

Momma returned, looked at me with pleading eyes and I knew she wanted me to keep the babies.  I told her that she could bring the babies for food.  We would feed them but then she is to take them home.  A problem is that she hardly has a home.  She and her husband live in a broken stick house on the mountain.  They are so poor!  Poor, poor, poor! 

Momma sat on the floor and was breast feeding the babies.  I bought her a chair to sit on, the most I could do for her at the moment.  Later, she ate the children’s left over lunch and a piece of watermelon.  After Momma breast fed the babies, Cawol gave them a bath.  As I write this, the twins are sleeping on the floor and Momma is sitting close by.



No comments:

Post a Comment