Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday, a new day!


August 5, 2012
This morning is a new day!  Pere Phanold celebrated his first mass here at Ste. Marie Madeleine.  It poured rain early in the morning and continued till about 8:30AM.  People in Bondeau don’t come to church when it rains because they have long distances to walk, some coming from high on the mountain.  There is very little pavement, only the main road is paved, so that most people have mud surrounding their homes when it rains; many live with mud floors in their homes when it rains.  So, I expected that attendance would be very light. 
Pere made a few changes to the classroom that is used as a church.  He had plywood applied as a ceiling for better insulation; he had the entrance area all cleaned, rocks removed from the entrances, and dug a trench to catch runoff water from the roof.  He brought folding chairs out of storage to use for the congregation, a great improvement over congregation sitting on school benches.  He removed the life-size crucifix that hung on the wall.
There were a few unfamiliar faces, people who came with Pere Phanold from Ste. Matthew.  Some served as acolytes.  Ana, who stays with me at Kay Timoun, was an acolyte and read the second reading from Ephesians.  She read beautifully, and needless to say, I was very proud of her.  In fact, I was proud of all the kids.  I kept a close watch as they were sitting in the front rows. 
I began with “This morning is a new day!” because yesterday was one of those days that I’d rather forget.  We did not have electricity for the entire day and into the night.  It was hot and humid.  There was no water in the house and the children had to carry water to wash dishes, take a bath, and carry water for me, too, so I could bathe.  As I write this, the generator is running and my computer is charging.  Water is in the tank on the roof and hopefully, I’ll be able to take a shower later on today.  The rain has cooled the air and cloud cover is keeping us all from burning up!  Praise God!  Mesi Bondye!  The children are visiting their parents this afternoon and I’m enjoying a little quiet time.  Again, Mesi Bondye!  Thank you, God!

                                                                             Ana
                                                     Deacon Anita reading the Gospel

                                                       Wonold and Vangelia at Kay Timoun chapel 

No comments:

Post a Comment