Sunday, August 12, 2012

Wonel


Yesterday I was cleaning up the kitchen with Wonel.  He had taken the refrigerator all apart and was washing each shelf, each drawer, and each part that is attached to the door.  He had already moved the stove away from the wall and had thoroughly cleaned around the burners and each knob.  The day before he had taken everything off the kitchen shelves, cleaned all and rearranged neatly back on the shelves.  He heard me trying to teach the girls how to be neat with their clothing, after teaching them how to clean their bathroom.  I just wasn’t getting through to the girls.  He took over, went to their room, took everything off their clothing shelves and showed them how to fold and make neat stacks of clothing, tee shirts in this stack, shorts in this stack, underwear here, etc.  He had done this same routine with the boys.

I often wonder how a young man, Wonel is about 22, growing up in abject poverty in a community that has no running water in homes, no electricity, no toilets or showers, knows without being told how to clean modern appliances like a refrigerator and a stove.  How does he know how to clean a bathroom shower and toilet?  How does he know to wash the kitchen floor after each meal?  How does he know how to keep a kitchen counter spotlessly clean?  After washing the dishes, he dries the sink! How does he know how to keep a big house like Kay Timoun clean?  In addition to all of that, he also knows how to cook.  He helped me prepare a breakfast of scrambled eggs, fruit, and bread one time and has since, been cooking breakfast two times a week.  Our meals here are for seventeen people, so it’s not like he is scrambling a couple of eggs!  He wins over my heart again and again when I wake up to freshly made Haitian coffee.

So, as Wonel and I worked together in the kitchen, I asked him how he learned all the things that he knows.  He looked up with a smile and said that his grandmother taught him.  He said she taught him everything!  Thank you, Grandma!  I didn’t mention that when Cawol comes back from market, Wonel trims all the vegetables before putting them in the refrigerator.  I also didn’t mention that Wonel has never been to school, yet he reads and writes, does math, and helps the children with their school work.  I recently noticed him studying English.  He reads the bible daily.

An amazing part of Wonel’s story is that just one year ago the people in Bondeau thought he was crazy!  And his actions were that of a very mentally disturbed person.  He had to be taken out of church because he disturbed the service.  He came to the guest house after dark and caused a disturbance, so much so that I was afraid of him!  Now I wonder, after knowing Wonel if that craziness wasn’t all an act.  Last year when I visited Bondeau, Wonel would take walks with me…short walks, because remember that I was still a little afraid of him.  We got to know one another and I trusted him more and more each time we walked together.  I made a point of placing my hand on his shoulder and saying, “Bondye beni ou!”  He’d answer, “Oui.” (God bless you.)

Wonel came to me after a few children had moved into Kay Timoun and I had hired the people who were going to work here.  He asked me for a job.  I had already hired all the people I thought I needed and had my payroll budget.  Not knowing Wonel’s many talents, I asked if he’d be willing to work only for food.  He quickly answered yes and began work.  Needless to say, Wonel was on the payroll for the first month’s pay.  He is reliable, up at the crack of dawn every morning beginning his day.  He not only helps the kids with their school work, he has learned to navigate the small laptop.  He plays soccer with the kids in the evening.  He plays dominoes when the sun is hot and kids are indoors or in the shade. 

Many thanks to Wonel’s grandmother!  Wonel is a blessing to me and to everyone here at Kay Timoun.  I thank God for Wonel!

Sorry...Wonel's photo won't load. 

No comments:

Post a Comment