Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Breaking down the blocks!


Sometimes I get down, so down that I don’t want to write, in fact, can’t think of anything to write about. I wait for the “mood” to pass but it never seems to end.  I pray, I rest, I meditate…but the downer remains.  It’s been one of those times when it’s difficult for me to see the Good in what I am doing here.  I struggle with all that is going on around me and not necessarily what is going on here at Kay Timoun, but in the community.  I am the “odd” one, the American.  Sadly, I get the feeling that the people think that I have an endless supply of everything.

Kay Timoun functions well with everyone on the staff knowing what is expected of them.  My joy comes from the children.  They are progressing beautifully!  Five of the children are learning English with a computer program.   I hear them saying English phrases from time to time, their pronunciation not perfect but very good.  They know the value of speaking English.  I also speak to them in English to which they respond in English.  The youngest children, Odiana and Angi, learn quickly, not on the computer, but simply speaking to them in English. 

Afternoons are hot, too hot to play outside.  So, we have been gathering in the upstairs hallway, which doubles as a breezeway, being open to the outdoors on both ends.  The computer learners set up a small laptop and play games on Purble Place.  In doing so, they learn basic computer skills.  Benjamy can now navigate from games to photos to music.  The English learners work at another laptop close by where I can keep an open eye and ear on them.  Other kids work math problems or do art projects.  We are all working toward the same goal, to be the best that we can be.

So, now that I have broken through my writer’s block, you’ll be hearing from me more often.  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment