Monday, May 27, 2013

Mothers' Day in Haiti


Yesterday was Mothers’ Day in Haiti.  It’s a much bigger deal here than it is in the U.S.  Mothers are the anchor of the family.  They hold the family together.  Very often, a man will have children with more than one woman, but it’s the mother who is always there, working, caring, and being the stronghold. 
The church was packed to capacity.  Green and white paper chains were swaged across the room and around the windows in honor of Mothers’ Day.  The overflow of worshipers sat on benches outside the church.  Mothers sat in the “reserved” seats in the front, adorning the pink and green paper flower that had been pinned to her dress.  It was a grand celebratory mass for Trinity Sunday with three different choirs and a brass band, accompanied by electric guitars, keyboard, and drums.  A special party had been planned for after service where mothers were honored with a delicious meal of fried chicken, banann, pickles, salad, and rice.

The “church” was quickly transformed into a party room.  The altar area became the stage for performance of comedy skits, which were hysterically funny, even though I couldn't understand all that was said.  I took my seat in the front where I could see up close. 
At the end of the entertainment Pere Phanold presented gifts to women who have been especially helpful in parish work.  I was surprised that I was one of the recipients of a special gift, a framed photo of me.  Most of the people in Bondeau know me, but for the newcomers, he said that I began the partnership with Ste. Marie Madeleine Church and St. Gregory's and have been helping the parish since then. 
So, today, I'm back to "mothering" twelve kids here at Kay Timoun, and feeling very deserving of my special gift.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment