Sunday, June 15, 2014

Challenges and abundant blessings


It’s so hot!  My clothes are soaked with sweat and my face is dripping.  The bugs are almost unbearable!   They swarm around the tomatoes in the bowl and the pineapples sitting on the counter.  Mosquitos threaten my health.  I’d like a good night’s sleep but I lay spread eagle on my bed trying to get catch a breeze.  I’d love to have a nice cool shower, but the best I can do is a bucket bath with water carried to my room  by Naomi.  The bucket must last the day, morning and evening bath.  I’d love to prepare a meal in a clean kitchen but I do the best I can with a few ounces of water to clean the counter and stove. There is seldom electricity, so the refrigerator sits as a sign of modernity come to Haiti, except there is not electricity to cool the refrigerator.  

Life here is difficult!  So, why do I stay?  I asked myself that question often.  I think of my nice comfortable condo in Boca and envision  all the comforts that I’m  so accustomed to.  And I know that I can return anytime I want.  So, why do I stay?  To answer that question,  “God called me to this ministry,” is not enough.  He not only called me, He gives me what I need to carry out His work in an extremely difficult environment.  His abundant blessings keep me from turning my back on it all.

God blesses me as He allows me to feel the joy of being surrounded by children.  Where else would I receive hugs and kisses every morning from loving children?  He blesses me with the patience I need to teach 12 year old Mirlande how to write and read.  He blesses me as I see 5 year old Angi navigate on a laptop.  I’m blessed when I see and hear 5 year old Odiana read and say words in English.  I’m blessed that the kids understand me when I speak in English.

As difficult as life in Bondeau is, I’ll keep accepting God’s grace and keep doing His work as long as He wants me to.  Thanks to all who pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment